Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Stockholm Archipelago

Before I head off to the Italian island of Sardinia, I thought it would be appropriate to share with you the  images of some of the Swedish islands I visited on my last trip there. The Stockholm Archipelago has something like 24,000 islands that make it up, which seemed impossible to me until I was on a  ferry boat sailing through them. Once you are among them they become inumerable. It seems that some Swedes take to summering on these islands in small little cottages that seem more fitting in Tolkien's Shire then they do in the waters off the Baltic Sea. I set out on a ferry boat from Stavnas and my first stop was the island of Sandhamn. After a lovely walk across the island, it was on to Grinda, Vaxholm and then back to Stockholm. I made a map of my journey here.












No comments: