Tuesday, June 23, 2009

MOON

I went to the Landmark Sunshine down on Houston this past Saturday to see the Duncan Jones Directed 'Moon'. Today is Tuesday, and I am still thinking about it. Tremendous.

Sam Rockwell, whom I never had much of an opinion of until this film, is extraordinary as Sam Bell, an Astronaut working in a lunar space station that is mining the surface rock for Helium-3, which is used as a pollution free form of power that provides energy for 70% of the worlds population. Sam is alone except for Gerty (a machine voiced by Kevin Spacey) and finishing up the last days of a 3 year contract before returning to his wife and daughter. You get the feeling that Sam is ready to crack from loneliness. Sam leaves the station to do some check ups on the exterior of the station, there is an accident and Sam wakes up in the infirmary.

I won't say more about the plot, but what happens in the film from here is less Sigourney Weaver, and more Ray Bradbury. The story relies on our earthly ethics, emotions, greed and technological advancement and not on lasers, aliens and solar systems. Honestly, I am still asking myself questions about it. Go see it and let me know what you think. Click here to watch the trailer.

The film opened last friday in limited release in NY and LA. It did well on its opening, so it might see a larger release in the next few weeks.

No comments: