Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The U.S. Virgin Islands, Post 1: St. John

So the final stop on the Swedish American tour were the islands of St. Thomas and St. John in the US Virgin Islands. We flew down from NY, landed on St. Thomas picked up a Jeep and immediately went to the ferry dock and crossed the channel to St. John. I first went to St. John when I was in High School on a class trip. We camped and snorkeled and did general teenager things, all under the guise of learning about the delicate Eco system that exists both on the island itself, and the amazing coral reefs that surround its coasts. At the time I wasn't sure how much I was learning, but now I look back and see what an indelible learning experience it was for me. This time was spent doing much of the same things as I did on my first visit, we spent a few days exploring Cruz Bay, Coral Bay, Cinnamon Bay, the ruins at the Annaberg Sugar Plantation, eating seafood at every stop. Then we went back to St. Thomas for a great day in Charlotte Amalie, photos of which I will dedicate an upcoming post to. Sadly, my Nikon was a bit too expensive to dunk into the ocean willy nilly to photograph the amazing underwater life, so you will have to just enjoy the view above water.


No comments: