Saturday, November 6, 2010

ICELAND, Post #1 Reykjavik

I have always wanted to go to Iceland, and now I have. Back in High School my friend Paulette told me that her mother had stopped there on her way to Germany, and I couldn't believe that I knew someone, who was related to someone, that had been to Iceland. It mattered little to me that her mother most likely didn't get off the plane during her stopover.  So I started my trip in Reykjavik, the capital city with a population of 120,000. To me it was perfect, a compact and cosmopolitan place that was as much a small fishing village, as it was a hip nordic city with bars and restaraunts for every kind of traveler.  All the photos in this post are from Reykjavik, I hope you can get a little taste of what it has to offer. From the capital I set out on the popular 'Golden Circle' tour that includes three of the major attractions within an easy drive from the city. First stop was Thingvellir National Park, the home of Icelands first Parliment. Next up was Gullfoss, the beautiful waterfall. Then finally on to Geysir, the mother of all geysers.  I also went to the Blue Lagoon, which of course you cannot miss. I will have photos from each place in future posts. My visit was way too short and there are so many things that I still want to do and see, so I am already planning a trip back. Anyone want to come?












No comments: